The sector classification is provided by the Donor Assistance Committee (DAC) official classification. Data on the sector of destination are recorded using 5-digit purpose codes. The first three digits of the code refer to the corresponding DAC5 sector or category. Each CRS code belongs to one and only one DAC5 category. Generally, the last two digits of the CRS purpose code are sequential and not hierarchical i.e., each CRS code stands for itself and can be selected individually or grouped to create sub-sectors. (http://www.oecd.org/dac/stats/purposecodessectorclassification.htm )
Education, level unspecified
Education policy and administrative management
- Education sector policy, planning and programmes; aid to education ministries, administration and management systems; institution capacity building and advice; school management and governance; curriculum and materials development; unspecified education activities.
Education facilities and training
- Educational buildings, equipment, materials; subsidiary services to education (boarding facilities, staff housing); language training; colloquia, seminars, lectures, etc.
- Teacher education (where the level of education is unspecified); in-service and pre-service training; materials development.
- Research and studies on education effectiveness, relevance and quality; systematic evaluation and monitoring.
- 11110 Education policy and administrative management
- Formal and non-formal primary education for children; all elementary and first cycle systematic instruction; provision of learning materials.
Basic life skills for youth and adults
- Formal and non-formal education for basic life skills for young people and adults (adults education); literacy and numeracy training.
Early childhood education
- Formal and non-formal pre-school education.
- 11220 Primary education
- 113 Secondary education
- 114 Post-secondary education
- 111 Education, level unspecified
Health policy and administrative management
- Health sector policy, planning and programmes; aid to health ministries, public health administration; institution capacity building and advice; medical insurance programmes; unspecified health activities.
- Medical education and training for tertiary level services.
- General medical research (excluding basic health research).
- Laboratories, specialised clinics and hospitals (including equipment and supplies); ambulances; dental services; mental health care; medical rehabilitation; control of non-infectious diseases; drug and substance abuse control [excluding narcotics traffic control (16063)].
- 12110 Health policy and administrative management
Basic health care
- Basic and primary health care programmes; paramedical and nursing care programmes; supply of drugs, medicines and vaccines related to basic health care.
Basic health infrastructure
- District-level hospitals, clinics and dispensaries and related medical equipment; excluding specialised hospitals and clinics (12191).
- Direct feeding programmes (maternal feeding, breastfeeding and weaning foods, child feeding, school feeding); determination of micro-nutrient deficiencies; provision of vitamin A, iodine, iron etc.; monitoring of nutritional status; nutrition and food hygiene education; household food security.
Infectious disease control
- Immunisation; prevention and control of infectious and parasite diseases, except malaria (12262), tuberculosis (12263), HIV/AIDS and other STDs (13040). It includes diarrheal diseases, vector-borne diseases (e.g. river blindness and guinea worm),
- Information, education and training of the population for improving health knowledge and practices; public health and awareness campaigns; promotion of improved personal hygiene practices, including use of sanitation facilities and handwashing with soap.
- Prevention and control of malaria.
- Immunisation, prevention and control of tuberculosis.
Health personnel development
- Training of health staff for basic health care services.
- 12220 Basic health care
- 121 Health, general
Population policies/programmes and reproductive health
Population policy and administrative management
- Population/development policies; census work, vital registration; migration data; demographic research/analysis; reproductive health research; unspecified population activities.
Reproductive health care
- Promotion of reproductive health; prenatal and postnatal care including delivery; prevention and treatment of infertility; prevention and management of consequences of abortion; safe motherhood activities.
- Family planning services including counselling; information, education and communication (IEC) activities; delivery of contraceptives; capacity building and training.
STD control including HIV/AIDS
- All activities related to sexually transmitted diseases and HIV/AIDS control e.g. information, education and communication; testing; prevention; treatment, care.
Personnel development for population and reproductive health
- Education and training of health staff for population and reproductive health care services.
- 13010 Population policy and administrative management
Water and sanitation
Water sector policy and administrative management
- Water sector policy and governance, including legislation, regulation, planning and management as well as transboundary management of water; institutional capacity development; activities supporting the Integrated Water Resource Management approach (IWRM: see box below).
Water resources conservation (including data collection)
- Collection and usage of quantitative and qualitative data on water resources; creation and sharing of water knowledge; conservation and rehabilitation of inland surface waters (rivers, lakes etc.), ground water and coastal waters; prevention of water contamination.
Water supply and sanitation - large systems
- Programmes where components according to 14021 and 14022 cannot be identified. When components are known, they should individually be reported under their respective purpose codes: water supply , sanitation , and hygiene .
Water supply - large systems
- Potable water treatment plants; intake works; storage; water supply pumping stations; large scale transmission / conveyance and distribution systems.
Sanitation - large systems
- Large scale sewerage including trunk sewers and sewage pumping stations; domestic and industrial waste water treatment plants.
Basic drinking water supply and basic sanitation
- Programmes where components according to 14031 and 14032 cannot be identified. When components are known, they should individually be reported under their respective purpose codes: water supply , sanitation , and hygiene .
Basic drinking water supply
- Rural water supply schemes using handpumps, spring catchments, gravity-fed systems, rainwater collection and fog harvesting, storage tanks, small distribution systems typically with shared connections/points of use. Urban schemes using handpumps and local neighbourhood networks including those with shared connections.
- Latrines, on-site disposal and alternative sanitation systems, including the promotion of household and community investments in the construction of these facilities. (Use code 12261 for activities promoting improved personal hygiene practices.)
- Infrastructure focused integrated river basin projects and related institutional activities; river flow control; dams and reservoirs [excluding dams primarily for irrigation (31140) and hydropower (23065) and activities related to river transport (21040)].
Waste management / disposal
- Municipal and industrial solid waste management, including hazardous and toxic waste; collection, disposal and treatment; landfill areas; composting and reuse.
Education and training in water supply and sanitation
- Education and training for sector professionals and service providers.
- 14010 Water sector policy and administrative management
Government and civil society
Government and civil society, general
Public sector policy and administrative management
- Institution-building assistance to strengthen core public sector management systems and capacities. This includes macro-economic and other policy management, co-ordination, planning and reform; human resource management; organisational development; civil service reform; e?government; development planning, monitoring and evaluation; support to ministries involved in aid co-ordination; other ministries and government departments when sector cannot be specified. (Use specific sector codes for development of systems and capacities in sector ministries.)
Public finance management
- Fiscal policy and planning; support to ministries of finance; strengthening financial and managerial accountability; public expenditure management; improving financial management systems; tax policy and administration; budget drafting; inter-governmental fiscal relations, public audit, public debt. (Use code 33120 for customs.)
Decentralisation and support to subnational government
- Decentralisation processes (including political, administrative and fiscal dimensions); intergovernmental relations and federalism; strengthening departments of regional and local government, regional and local authorities and their national associations. (Use specific sector codes for decentralisation of sector management and services.)
Anti-corruption organisations and institutions
- Specialised organisations, institutions and frameworks for the prevention of and combat against corruption, bribery, money-laundering and other aspects of organised crime, with or without law enforcement powers, e.g. anti-corruption commissions and monitoring bodies, special investigation services, institutions and initiatives of integrity and ethics oversight, specialised NGOs, other civil society and citizens
Legal and judicial development
- Support to institutions, systems and procedures of the justice sector, both formal and informal; support to ministries of justice, the interior and home affairs; judges and courts; legal drafting services; bar and lawyers associations; professional legal education; maintenance of law and order and public safety; border management; law enforcement agencies, police, prisons and their supervision; ombudsmen; alternative dispute resolution, arbitration and mediation; legal aid and counsel; traditional, indigenous and paralegal practices that fall outside the formal legal system. Measures that support the improvement of legal frameworks, constitutions, laws and regulations; legislative and constitutional drafting and review; legal reform; integration of formal and informal systems of law. Public legal education; dissemination of information on entitlements and remedies for injustice; awareness campaigns. (Use codes 152xx for activities that are primarily aimed at supporting security system reform or undertaken in connection with post-conflict and peace building activities.)
Democratic participation and civil society
- Support to the exercise of democracy and diverse forms of participation of citizens beyond elections (15151); direct democracy instruments such as referenda and citizens
- Electoral management bodies and processes, election observation, voters' education. (Use code 15230 when in the context of an international peacekeeping operation.)
Legislatures and political parties
- Assistance to strengthen key functions of legislatures/ parliaments including subnational assemblies and councils (representation; oversight; legislation), such as improving the capacity of legislative bodies, improving legislatures
Media and free flow of information
- Activities that support free and uncensored flow of information on public issues; activities that increase the editorial and technical skills and the integrity of the print and broadcast media, e.g. training of journalists. (Use codes 22010-22040 for provision of equipment and capital assistance to media.)
- Measures to support specialised official human rights institutions and mechanisms at universal, regional, national and local levels in their statutory roles to promote and protect civil and political, economic, social and cultural rights as defined in international conventions and covenants; translation of international human rights commitments into national legislation; reporting and follow-up; human rights dialogue. Human rights defenders and human rights NGOs; human rights advocacy, activism, mobilisation; awareness raising and public human rights education. Human rights programming targeting specific groups, e.g. children, persons with disabilities, migrants, ethnic, religious, linguistic and sexual minorities, indigenous people and those suffering from caste discrimination, victims of trafficking, victims of torture. (Use code 15230 when in the context of an international peacekeeping operation)
- Support for institutions and organisations (governmental and non-governmental) working for gender equality and women
- 15110 Public sector policy and administrative management
Conflict prevention and resolution, peace and security
- N.B. Further notes on ODA eligibility (and exclusions) of conflict, peace and security related activities are given in paragraphs 41-46 of the DAC Statistical Reporting Directives.
Security system management and reform
- Technical co-operation provided to parliament, government ministries, law enforcement agencies and the judiciary to assist review and reform of the security system to improve democratic governance and civilian control; technical co-operation provided to government to improve civilian oversight and democratic control of budgeting, management, accountability and auditing of security expenditure, including military budgets, as part of a public expenditure management programme; assistance to civil society to enhance its competence and capacity to scrutinise the security system so that it is managed in accordance with democratic norms and principles of accountability, transparency and good governance. [Other than in the context of an international peacekeeping operation (15230)].
Civilian peace-building, conflict prevention and resolution
- Support for civilian activities related to peace building, conflict prevention and resolution, including capacity building, monitoring, dialogue and information exchange. Bilateral participation in international civilian peace missions such as those conducted by the UN Department of Political Affairs (UNDPA) or the European Union (European Security and Defence Policy), and contributions to civilian peace funds or commissions (e.g. Peacebuilding Commission, Peacebuilding thematic window of the MDG achievement fund etc.). The contributions can take the form of financing or provision of equipment or civilian or military personnel (e.g. for training civilians). (Use code 15230 for bilateral participation in international peacekeeping operations).
Participation in international peacekeeping operations
- Bilateral participation in peacekeeping operations mandated or authorised by the United Nations (UN) through Security Council resolutions, and conducted by international organisations, e.g. UN, NATO, the European Union (Security and Defence Policy security-related operations), or regional groupings of developing countries. Direct contributions to the UN Department for Peacekeeping Operations (UNDPKO) budget are excluded from bilateral ODA (they are reportable in part as multilateral ODA, see Annex 2 of DAC Directives). The activities that can be reported as bilateral ODA under this code are limited to: human rights and election monitoring; reintegration of demobilised soldiers; rehabilitation of basic national infrastructure; monitoring or retraining of civil administrators and policy forces; security sector reform and other rule of law-related activities; training in customs and border control procedures; advice or training in fiscal or macroeconomic stabilisation policy; repatration and demobilisation of armed factions, and disposal of their weapons; explosive mine removal. The enforcement aspects of international peacekeeping operations are not reportable as ODA. ODA-eligible bilateral participation in peacekeeping operations can take the form of financing or provision of equipment or military or civilian personnel (e.g. police officers). The reportable cost is calculated as the excess over what the personnel and equipment would have cost to maintain had they not been assigned to take part in a peace operation. International peacekeeping operations may include humanitarian-type activities (contributions to the form of equipment or personnel), as described in paragraphs 184 and 185 of DAC Directives. These should be included under code 15230 if they are an integrated part of the activities above, otherwise they should be reported as humanitarian aid. NB: When using this code, indicate the name of the operation in the short description of the activity reported.
Reintegration and SALW control
- Reintegration of demobilised military personnel into the economy; conversion of production facilities from military to civilian outputs; technical co-operation to control, prevent and/or reduce the proliferation of small arms and light weapons (SALW)
Removal of land mines and explosive remnants of war
- All activities related to land mines and explosive remnants of war which have benefits to developing countries as their main objective, including removal of land mines and explosive remnants of war, and stockpile destruction for developmental purposes [other than in the context of an international peacekeeping operation (15230)]; risk education and awareness raising; rehabilitation, reintegration and assistance to victims, and research and development on demining and clearance. Only activities for civilian purposes are ODA-eligible.
Child soldiers (Prevention and demobilisation)
- Technical co-operation provided to government
- 15210 Security system management and reform
- 151 Government and civil society, general
Other social infrastructure and services
Social/ welfare services
- Social legislation and administration; institution capacity building and advice; social security and other social schemes; special programmes for the elderly, orphans, the disabled, street children; social dimensions of structural adjustment; unspecified social infrastructure and services, including consumer protection.
Employment policy and administrative management
- Employment policy and planning; labour law; labour unions; institution capacity building and advice; support programmes for unemployed; employment creation and income generation programmes; occupational safety and health; combating child labour.
Housing policy and administrative management
- Housing sector policy, planning and programmes; excluding low-cost housing and slum clearance (16040).
- Including slum clearance.
Multisector aid for basic social services
- Basic social services are defined to include basic education, basic health, basic nutrition, population/reproductive health and basic drinking water supply and basic sanitation.
Culture and recreation
- Including libraries and museums.
Statistical capacity building
- Both in national statistical offices and any other government ministries.
- In-country and customs controls including training of the police; educational programmes and awareness campaigns to restrict narcotics traffic and in-country distribution.
Social mitigation of HIV/AIDS
- Special programmes to address the consequences of HIV/AIDS, e.g. social, legal and economic assistance to people living with HIV/AIDS including food security and employment; support to vulnerable groups and children orphaned by HIV/AIDS; human rights of HIV/AIDS affected people.
- 16010 Social/ welfare services
Transport and storage
Transport policy and administrative management
- Transport sector policy, planning and programmes; aid to transport ministries; institution capacity building and advice; unspecified transport; activities that combine road, rail, water and/or air transport.
- Road infrastructure, road vehicles; passenger road transport, motor passenger cars.
- Rail infrastructure, rail equipment, locomotives, other rolling stock; including light rail (tram) and underground systems.
- Harbours and docks, harbour guidance systems, ships and boats; river and other inland water transport, inland barges and vessels.
- Airports, airport guidance systems, aeroplanes, aeroplane maintenance equipment.
- Whether or not related to transportation.
- 21081 Education and training in transport and storage
- 21010 Transport policy and administrative management
Communications policy and administrative management
- Communications sector policy, planning and programmes; institution capacity building and advice; including postal services development; unspecified communications activities.
- Telephone networks, telecommunication satellites, earth stations.
- Radio and TV links, equipment; newspapers; printing and publishing.
Information and communication technology (ICT)
- Computer hardware and software; internet access; IT training. When sector cannot be specified.
- 22010 Communications policy and administrative management
Energy generation and supply
Energy policy and administrative management
- Energy sector policy, planning and programmes; aid to energy ministries; institution capacity building and advice; unspecified energy activities including energy conservation.
Power generation/non-renewable sources
- Thermal power plants including when heat source cannot be determined; combined gas-coal power plants.
Power generation/renewable sources
- Including policy, planning, development programmes, surveys and incentives. Fuelwood/ charcoal production should be included under forestry (31261).
Electrical transmission/ distribution
- Distribution from power source to end user; transmission lines.
- Delivery for use by ultimate consumer.
Oil-fired power plants
- Including diesel power plants.
- 23062 Gas-fired power plants
- 23063 Coal-fired power plants
Nuclear power plants
- Including nuclear safety.
Hydro-electric power plants
- Including power-generating river barges.
- 23066 Geothermal energy
- Including photo-voltaic cells, solar thermal applications and solar heating.
- Wind energy for water lifting and electric power generation.
- Including ocean thermal energy conversion, tidal and wave power.
- Densification technologies and use of biomass for direct power generation including biogas, gas obtained from sugar cane and other plant residues, anaerobic digesters.
- Applies to all energy sub-sectors; all levels of training.
- Including general inventories, surveys.
- 23010 Energy policy and administrative management
Banking and financial services
Financial policy and administrative management
- Finance sector policy, planning and programmes; institution capacity building and advice; financial markets and systems.
- Central banks.
Formal sector financial intermediaries
- All formal sector financial intermediaries; credit lines; insurance, leasing, venture capital, etc. (except when focused on only one sector).
Informal/semi-formal financial intermediaries
- Micro credit, savings and credit co-operatives etc.
- 24081 Education/training in banking and financial services
- 24010 Financial policy and administrative management
Business and other services
Business support services and institutions
- Support to trade and business associations, chambers of commerce; legal and regulatory reform aimed at improving business and investment climate; private sector institution capacity building and advice; trade information; public-private sector networking including trade fairs; e?commerce. Where sector cannot be specified: general support to private sector enterprises (in particular, use code 32130 for enterprises in the industrial sector).
- When sector cannot be specified. Including general state enterprise restructuring or demonopolisation programmes; planning, programming, advice.
- 25010 Business support services and institutions
Agricultural policy and administrative management
- Agricultural sector policy, planning and programmes; aid to agricultural ministries; institution capacity building and advice; unspecified agriculture.
- Integrated projects; farm development.
Agricultural land resources
- Including soil degradation control; soil improvement; drainage of water logged areas; soil desalination; agricultural land surveys; land reclamation; erosion control, desertification control.
Agricultural water resources
- Irrigation, reservoirs, hydraulic structures, ground water exploitation for agricultural use.
- Supply of seeds, fertilizers, agricultural machinery/equipment.
Food crop production
- Including grains (wheat, rice, barley, maize, rye, oats, millet, sorghum); horticulture; vegetables; fruit and berries; other annual and perennial crops. [Use code 32161 for agro-industries.]
Industrial crops/export crops
- Including sugar; coffee, cocoa, tea; oil seeds, nuts, kernels; fibre crops; tobacco; rubber. [Use code 32161 for agro-industries.]
- Animal husbandry; animal feed aid.
- Including agricultural sector adjustment.
Agricultural alternative development
- Projects to reduce illicit drug cultivation through other agricultural marketing and production opportunities (see code 43050 for non-agricultural alternative development).
- Non-formal training in agriculture.
- 31181 Agricultural education/training
- Plant breeding, physiology, genetic resources, ecology, taxonomy, disease control, agricultural bio-technology; including livestock research (animal health, breeding and genetics, nutrition, physiology).
- Marketing policies & organisation; storage and transportation, creation of strategic reserves.
Plant and post-harvest protection and pest control
- Including integrated plant protection, biological plant protection activities, supply and management of agrochemicals, supply of pesticides, plant protection policy and legislation.
Agricultural financial services
- Financial intermediaries for the agricultural sector including credit schemes; crop insurance.
- Including farmers
- Animal health and management, genetic resources, feed resources.
- 31110 Agricultural policy and administrative management
Forestry policy and administrative management
- Forestry sector policy, planning and programmes; institution capacity building and advice; forest surveys; unspecified forestry and agro-forestry activities.
- Afforestation for industrial and rural consumption; exploitation and utilisation; erosion control, desertification control; integrated forestry projects.
- Forestry development whose primary purpose is production of fuelwood and charcoal.
- 31281 Forestry education/training
- Including artificial regeneration, genetic improvement, production methods, fertilizer, harvesting.
- 31291 Forestry services
- 31210 Forestry policy and administrative management
Fishing policy and administrative management
- Fishing sector policy, planning and programmes; institution capacity building and advice; ocean and coastal fishing; marine and freshwater fish surveys and prospecting; fishing boats/equipment; unspecified fishing activities.
- Exploitation and utilisation of fisheries; fish stock protection; aquaculture; integrated fishery projects.
- 31381 Fishery education/training
- Pilot fish culture; marine/freshwater biological research.
- Fishing harbours; fish markets; fishery transport and cold storage.
- 31310 Fishing policy and administrative management
Industrial policy and administrative management
- Industrial sector policy, planning and programmes; institution capacity building and advice; unspecified industrial activities; manufacturing of goods not specified below.
- 32120 Industrial development
Small and medium-sized enterprises (SME) development
- Direct support to the development of small and medium-sized enterprises in the industrial sector, including accounting, auditing and advisory services.
- 32140 Cottage industries and handicraft
- Staple food processing, dairy products, slaughter houses and equipment, meat and fish processing and preserving, oils/fats, sugar refineries, beverages/tobacco, animal feeds production.
- Wood production, pulp/paper production.
Textiles, leather and substitutes
- Including knitting factories.
- Industrial and non-industrial production facilities; includes pesticides production.
- 32165 Fertilizer plants
- 32166 Cement/lime/plaster
- Including gas liquefaction; petroleum refineries.
- Medical equipment/supplies; drugs, medicines, vaccines; hygienic products.
Basic metal industries
- Iron and steel, structural metal production.
- 32170 Non-ferrous metal industries
- Manufacturing of electrical and non-electrical machinery, engines/turbines.
Transport equipment industry
- Shipbuilding, fishing boats building; railroad equipment; motor vehicles and motor passenger cars; aircraft; navigation/guidance systems.
Technological research and development
- Including industrial standards; quality management; metrology; testing; accreditation; certification.
- 32110 Industrial policy and administrative management
Mineral resources and mining
Mineral/mining policy and administrative management
- Mineral and mining sector policy, planning and programmes; mining legislation, mining cadastre, mineral resources inventory, information systems, institution capacity building and advice; unspecified mineral resources exploitation.
Mineral prospection and exploration
- Geology, geophysics, geochemistry; excluding hydrogeology (14010) and environmental geology (41010), mineral extraction and processing, infrastructure, technology, economics, safety and environment management.
- Including lignite and peat.
Oil and gas
- Petroleum, natural gas, condensates, liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), liquefied natural gas (LNG); including drilling and production.
- Iron and ferro-alloy metals.
- Aluminium, copper, lead, nickel, tin, zinc.
- Gold, silver, platinum, diamonds, gemstones.
- Baryte, limestone, feldspar, kaolin, sand, gypsym, gravel, ornamental stones.
- Phosphates, potash.
- Polymetallic nodules, phosphorites, marine placer deposits.
- 32210 Mineral/mining policy and administrative management
Construction policy and administrative management
- Construction sector policy and planning; excluding construction activities within specific sectors (e.g., hospital or school construction).
- 32310 Construction policy and administrative management
Trade policy and regulations and trade-related adjustment
Trade policy and administrative management
- Trade policy and planning; support to ministries and departments responsible for trade policy; trade-related legislation and regulatory reforms; policy analysis and implementation of multilateral trade agreements e.g. technical barriers to trade and sanitary and phytosanitary measures (TBT/SPS) except at regional level (see 33130); mainstreaming trade in national development strategies (e.g. poverty reduction strategy papers); wholesale/retail trade; unspecified trade and trade promotion activities.
- Simplification and harmonisation of international import and export procedures (e.g. customs valuation, licensing procedures, transport formalities, payments, insurance); support to customs departments; tariff reforms.
Regional trade agreements (RTAs)
- Support to regional trade arrangements [e.g. Southern African Development Community (SADC), Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA), African Caribbean Pacific/European Union (ACP/EU)], including work on technical barriers to trade and sanitary and phytosanitary measures (TBT/SPS) at regional level; elaboration of rules of origin and introduction of special and differential treatment in RTAs.
Multilateral trade negotiations
- Support developing countries
- Contributions to the government budget to assist the implementation of recipients' own trade reforms and adjustments to trade policy measures by other countries; assistance to manage shortfalls in the balance of payments due to changes in the world trading environment.
- Human resources development in trade not included under any of the above codes. Includes university programmes in trade.
- 33110 Trade policy and administrative management
- 332 Tourism
General environmental protection
- Non-sector specific.
Environmental policy and administrative management
- Environmental policy, laws, regulations and economic instruments; administrational institutions and practices; environmental and land use planning and decision-making procedures; seminars, meetings; miscellaneous conservation and protection measures not specified below.
- Air pollution control, ozone layer preservation; marine pollution control.
- Including natural reserves and actions in the surrounding areas; other measures to protect endangered or vulnerable species and their habitats (e.g. wetlands preservation).
- Applies to unique cultural landscape; including sites/objects of historical, archeological, aesthetic, scientific or educational value.
- Floods from rivers or the sea; including sea water intrusion control and sea level rise related activities.
- 41081 Environmental education/ training
- Including establishment of databases, inventories/accounts of physical and natural resources; environmental profiles and impact studies if not sector specific.
- 41010 Environmental policy and administrative management
- 43010 Multisector aid
Urban development and management
- Integrated urban development projects; local development and urban management; urban infrastructure and services; municipal finances; urban environmental management; urban development and planning; urban renewal and urban housing; land information systems.
- Integrated rural development projects; e.g. regional development planning; promotion of decentralised and multi-sectoral competence for planning, co-ordination and management; implementation of regional development and measures (including natural reserve management); land management; land use planning; land settlement and resettlement activities [excluding resettlement of refugees and internally displaced persons (72010)]; functional integration of rural and urban areas; geographical information systems.
Non-agricultural alternative development
- Projects to reduce illicit drug cultivation through, for example, non-agricultural income opportunities, social and physical infrastructure (see code 31165 for agricultural alternative development).
- Including scholarships.
- 43082 Research/scientific institutions
- 410 General environmental protection
Commodity aid and general programme assistance
General budget support
- Budget support in the form of sector-wide approaches (SWAps) should be included in the respective sectors.
General budget support
- Unearmarked contributions to the government budget; support for the implementation of macroeconomic reforms (structural adjustment programmes, poverty reduction strategies); general programme assistance (when not allocable by sector).
- 51010 General budget support
Developmental food aid/Food security assistance
Food aid/Food security programmes
- Supply of edible human food under national or international programmes including transport costs; cash payments made for food supplies; project food aid and food aid for market sales when benefiting sector not specified; excluding emergency food aid.
- 52010 Food aid/Food security programmes
Other commodity assistance
- Non-food commodity assistance (when benefiting sector not specified).
- 510 General budget support
Action relating to debt
- 60010 Action relating to debt
- 60020 Debt forgiveness
Relief of multilateral debt
- Grants or credits to cover debt owed to multilateral financial institutions; including contributions to Heavily Indebted Poor Countries (HIPC) Trust Fund.
- 60040 Rescheduling and refinancing
Debt for development swap
- Allocation of debt claims to use for development (e.g., debt for education, debt for environment).
Other debt swap
- Where the debt swap benefits an external agent i.e. is not specifically for development purposes.
- Purchase of debt for the purpose of cancellation.
- An emergency is a situation which results from man made crises and/or natural disasters.
Material relief assistance and services
- Shelter, water, sanitation and health services, supply of medicines and other non-food relief items; assistance to refugees and internally displaced people in developing countries other than for food (72040) or protection (72050).
Emergency food aid
- Food aid normally for general free distribution or special supplementary feeding programmes; short-term relief to targeted population groups affected by emergency situations. Excludes non-emergency food security assistance programmes/food aid (52010).
Relief co-ordination; protection and support services
- Measures to co-ordinate delivery of humanitarian aid, including logistics and communications systems; measures to promote and protect the safety, well-being, dignity and integrity of civilians and those no longer taking part in hostilities. (Activities designed to protect the security of persons or property through the use or display of force are not reportable as ODA.)
- 72010 Material relief assistance and services
Reconstruction relief and rehabilitation
- This relates to activities during and in the aftermath of an emergency situation. Longer-term activities to improve the level of infrastructure or social services should be reported under the relevant economic and social sector codes. See also guideline on distinguishing humanitarian from sector-allocable aid.
Reconstruction relief and rehabilitation
- Short-term reconstruction work after emergency or conflict limited to restoring pre-existing infrastructure (e.g. repair or construction of roads, bridges and ports, restoration of essential facilities, such as water and sanitation, shelter, health care services); social and economic rehabilitation in the aftermath of emergencies to facilitate transition and enable populations to return to their previous livelihood or develop a new livelihood in the wake of an emergency situation (e.g. trauma counselling and treatment, employment programmes).
- 73010 Reconstruction relief and rehabilitation
Disaster prevention and preparedness
- See codes 41050 and 15220 for prevention of floods and conflicts.
Disaster prevention and preparedness
- Disaster risk reduction activities (e.g. developing knowledge, natural risks cartography, legal norms for construction); early warning systems; emergency contingency stocks and contingency planning including preparations for forced displacement.
- 74010 Disaster prevention and preparedness
- 720 Emergency Response
- 910 Administrative costs of donors
- 930 Refugees in donor countries
Sectors not specified
- Contributions to general development of the recipient should be included under programme assistance (51010).
Promotion of development awareness
- Spending in donor country for heightened awareness/interest in development co-operation (brochures, lectures, special research projects, etc.).
- 99810 Sectors not specified